As you all know that a standard homeowners’ insurance policy won’t cover flood damage and for that, you need to buy a flood insurance endorsement. However, it can cover water damage caused by a failed washing machine or burst pipe. Most homeowners ignore buying water backup coverage, considering this and water damage coverage is the same. However, unfortunately, they are different. While water damage is included in the basic homeowners’ policy, water backup coverage is an additional endorsement like flood insurance.
Continue reading to learn more about water backup and flood insurance coverages and what kind of water damages they cover.
Flood Insurance Coverage
Before diving into the coverage, let us discuss what is considered a flood. This is because most homeowners consider the overflow of water from the frozen pipe as flood and skip buying flood insurance, as it is covered by the homeowners’ insurance.
However, flood is:
- Overflow of tidal or inland water
- Sudden or unusual accumulation or runoff of surface water from any source
Flood insurance protects your home and contents against losses directly caused by flooding (by any of the above means). For example, damage from the sewer backup is covered if the backup is caused by floods.
What Does It Cover?
Dwelling – Covers the foundation and physical structure of your home, heating and air conditioning systems, plumbing and electrical systems, a detached garage, and other attached structures, such as panelling, cabinets, bookcases, etc.
Personal Contents – Covers portable appliances, electronics, furniture, clothing, freezers and food inside them, curtains, etc.
What Is Excluded?
- Moisture or mold/mildew damage
- Additional living expenses (if your home is uninhabitable after a flood)
- Loss or damage to precious metals, documents, and currency
- Cars and other self-propelled vehicles
- Outdoor property, such as patios, landscaping, wells and septic systems, decks, pools, and hot tubs
Water Backup Coverage
Water backup coverage protects your home and personal belongings against damages caused by drain or sewer backups.
What Does It Cover?
It covers damage to the structure of your home and personal property caused by discharge or overflow of water from:
- A drain or sewer
- Any system used to remove subsurface water from the foundation
- A sump, sump pump, or related equipment, even if the water backup is caused by mechanical issues
What Is Excluded?
- Damage resulting from negligence, such as lack of maintenance
- Repairing or replacing the damaged equipment, such as a broken sump pump
- Damage caused by flooding
Tips to Prevent Water Backups in Your Sewer Lateral
- Dispose of grease and paper products properly. Otherwise, they can clog the drain or main city line
- Cut your tree roots periodically to prevent them from clogging your drain
- Fix illegal plumbing connections
- Replace your line with new plastic pipes that prevent tree roots from entering it
- Install a backwater prevention valve in your basement to prevent backflows
Do These Whenever There Is a Possibility of Water Damage
- Clean-up ducts
- Wet vacuum and remove spillage
- Rem wet or steam clean carpets and drapes
- Wipe walls and mop floors with soap and disinfectant
- Remove or repair damaged wallboard/wall covering
- Flush out and disinfect plumbing fixtures
Stay Protected Against Flood and Water Backup Damages with Jack Stone Insurance
Whether you are looking to buy flood insurance or add water backup coverage to your homeowners policy, contact us today at Jack Stone Insurance Agency. We will assess all your possible water damage risk exposures and recommend coverages accordingly.